Monday, November 3, 2008

Celebrating Hispanic Traditions - Dia de los Difuntos


Dia de los Difuntos is a holiday celebrated in areas such as Central and South America and since I have family visiting from Ecuador we decided to celebrate it. (Any excuse to get together and have a party. Right?)November 2 is the official date for Day of the Dead, although it is celebrated between October 31st and November 2. In Ecuador is a tradition to make home-made bread in the shape of dolls and a yummy berry drink called "colada morada" that can be served hot or cold. My aunt Lucy brought some of the spices to make the drink all the way from Ecuador, and she made it this past weekend for us and it was really tasty. PJ loved it! I don't have pictures of him drinking it to prove it but you'll just have to take my word for it. PJ hopes that one day I become a great cook just like all the women in my family. I'm really trying...I promise. :)



My Aunt Lucy visiting from Ecuador











The Final Product!

2 comments:

Chris and Mari Spiker said...

Ooooo that drink looks like sangre to me! LOL! I love it! First of all, i totally agree- celebrate EVERY tradition & holiday possible! Second, you are adorable! Third, could your family be any cuter? No seriously, all those pictures! They are so sweet! I know I haven't met all of them, but I love the ones I have met! So tell me more about this red drink..what's in it??

PJ and Lorena said...

Ha ha! More like sweet blood. Yucky! No, it has blackberries, strawberries, blueberries, pineapple, brown sugar, and some sweet spices like cinnamon and others that I can’t remember. One day when you’re in town, I’ll try making it and you'll just have to try it. Jk I won’t force you. I only do that with PJ.